HOW TO PERFORM AN EASY SETUP SCAN on Evolution Wireless G3 systems
For a detailed "how-to" video of this process, please navigate to this link:
If at any point you wish to exit back out to the main operating screen you can press the "POWER" button to exit. This works on all EW pieces.
1. Turn on your receiver (please leave the transmitter turned off).
2. Push the SET button on your receiver to enter the menus.
3. Use the arrow buttons or knob to scroll to the EASY SETUP menu. Push SET which brings you into the EASY SETUP menu.
4. Use the arrow keys or knob to scroll down to SCAN NEW LIST. Push the SET button to start the scan. You'll now see a progress bar on your screen as your receiver scans through all possible frequencies and looks for those with low background noise. This will take about 60 seconds, depending on model.
5. When the scan completes, push SET two times to accept its recommended bank # and channel #. Your display will say “Stored.” Tap the power button to exit to the main menu.
It is a good idea at this time to verify the frequency is actually clean and free. A clean frequency will show no activity on the RF and AF "bars" on the display when the transmitter is off. If you do see activity, repeat steps 4 and 5.
6. Turn on your G3 transmitter, and if it is a bodypack style - open the battery door. Back on your receiver, push the "SYNC" button on the front panel. The display should say "SYNC". Hold the bodypack or handheld about 6 inches away from the receiver display with the screens facing each other (and the bodypack door open if it is a bodypack). You should see a "check" mark on the display indicating that the sync was successful. If the sync fails, you will see an "X" on the display and you should repeat this step.
It is very IMPORTANT to use the same frequency "bank" number (1-20) for multiple systems in the same frequency range (A/B/G). The frequencies in a particular BANK are all guaranteed to be compatible so multiple systems won't cause interference with each other. For example if you have 3 systems to setup and BANK3 is free, you will want to use BANK3/CHANNEL1, BANK3/CHANNEL2, BANK3/CHANNEL3. Mixing BANKS with multiple systems of the same frequency range (A/B/G) is never a good idea. You do not have to choose the same BANK number for systems in different frequency ranges (A/B/G). For example, if you picked BANK3 for your "A" range systems you do not have to pick BANK3 for your "G" range systems.
If you are in a challenging RF environment and your system reports 0 frequencies free, change the SQUELCH setting on the receiver to "Medium" and perform the steps again.
Most Sennheiser systems are sold in either the "A", "G", or "B" frequency ranges so if all of your systems are in the same band / group, you can save time by performing a scan once and set all systems into the same bank but on diff. frequencies in that bank by using the FREQUENCY PRESET menu.
Example: If you have 2 systems in the "A" band, and 2 more systems in the "B" band. You will need to perform a scan on one of the "A" units and then set both units onto the same open bank (but different CHANNELS), while then performing a new scan for the "B" equipment and setting those 2 units into their own open bank.
It is recommended for you to perform a new scan whenever you change venues or locations, as every location has different RF conditions - even from inside to outside a building!
FOR MULTIPLE SYSTEMS
- Remember to use the same BANK (but different channels) for systems in the same frequency range!
- Keep in mind, background noise changes as you move to new locations, so always check your receiver before turning on the transmitter. You may need to perform a fresh scan at each new location, to make sure you're using the most reliable frequency for your wireless mics. The RF and AF meters should be empty if you have the transmitters off.
The SQUELCH setting helps defend against static coming through your system when the transmitters are off. Raising the SQUELCH will increase this protection while DECREASING the transmission distance. If you perform the "EASY SETUP/SCAN NEW LIST" to ensure you are on a free frequency, this shouldn't be an issue. For more protection you can adjust the SQUELCH to "Medium" however the default setting is "LOW" for maximum range.
To adjust SQUELCH: Use the arrows to find SQUELCH. Hit SET and adjust Squelch to LOW. Hit the SET button to store this setting.